Friday, March 25, 2011

Will E-Readers Kill Traditional Books?

With the growing popularity of e-readers, there is a raging debate about whether electronic books will be the death of traditional hardcover or paperback books.  After much resistance, I have finally given in and purchased a Kindle. Before, buying my Kindle, I querried many friends and everyone said they love it.  I have to agree, I love my Kindle!  However, I still love and buy traditional books.

The pros of the Kindle are that it can hold a lot more books than anyone can in their home. They are also a lot easier to transport, particularly if you move around alot, than lugging those heavy boxes of books. I must admit, I have dumped a few books along the way to lighten my load. The Kindle is also great for traveling.  Now, I don't have to limit myself to taking one book on a trip.  With the Kindle, I can take several and increase my reading choices. I have also found that many books are cheaper on the Kindle, particularly you can get some new releases that are usually $24.99 hardcover, for about $12.99. Most books on Kindle average about $7.99 to $9.99. You can also find some deals at $2.99.  I cannot think of anything bad about the Kindle, except I haven't figured out how to use all the features. But that's my fault.

However, I do miss turning the pages of a good old fashioned book. I also just like the feel of holding a book in my hands, or looking at my collection of books on my book shelves. I think most people feel this way who have purchased e-readers.  Also, e-readers are still a bit pricey so not everyone is rushing out to buy one.  Therefore, I don't think traditional books will be disappearing anytime soon.

I have to admit, I thought purchasing a Kindle would make me stop buying traditional books. Instead, I find that I am buying MORE books -- books on the Kindle and traditional books from the bookstore. Just the other day, I stopped by the local second-hand bookstore and I bought four books. But hey, I got a great deal -- four books for $15. Now even that's a better deal than the Kindle. I also have a 40% off coupon for Borders, so I'll probably drop by and see what book I can get.

My conclusion is that traditional books will be around for a long time. Books have been able to survive the invention of the television, 24-hour cable news, 1000+ channels of entertainment on cable television, and I suspect, traditional books will survive e-readers too.

No comments:

Post a Comment